A cocaine-snorting taxi driver who injured a child after hitting a lamppost walked out of the courthouse.
Anthony Beck was driving the London Blue Taxi when he crashed into Edge Lane in Old Swan in December 2019.
He was traveling with two passengers, a man and a child, both seriously injured.
READ MORE: Pervert wanted to have sex with 14-year-old in ‘Maccies toilet’
But after an error in accusation by the CPS, the 51-year-old was released from court with a six-week sentence suspended for one year.
Beck appeared in Liverpool Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday, where a prosecutor explained that two charges of serious injury from dangerous driving would be dropped.
Andrew Page, suing, said: “On December 29, 2019, Mr Beck was driving a taxi which led to a collision.”
Mr Page said that “the Crown said serious injuries were sustained” by a child and an adult who were both passengers in the taxi.
District Judge Wendy Lloyd said the injuries appeared to be “pretty serious”.
Emergency services were called to Edge lane at 1:50 p.m., resulting in a partial closure of the roadway.
Mr Page said Beck was arrested for driving when he was over the controlled drug limit and subsequent charges first went to court.
When he appeared in court on these charges, Beck admitted two counts of driving a car with a specified controlled drug ratio above the legal limit and using a vehicle while he was was unfit to use drugs.
Receive newsletters with the latest news, sport and updates from ECHO Liverpool by signing up here
On November 30 of last year, Beck, of Forest Walk, Runcorn, was given a six-week suspension for 12 months and ordered to complete 20 required rehabilitation activities.
He was also banned from driving for two years.
Mr Page said: “It was very clear that when the court convicted Mr Beck of drug driving he was fully aware of the extent of the crime and the consequences.”
He said it was evident that the district judge who sentenced the case had taken the injuries into account.
Mr Page said: “Mr Beck runs the risk of being convicted twice.”
He added that there had been “serious consideration” of the case by senior PSC officials and “under any circumstances, it would be wrong to continue these prosecutions”.
District Judge Wendy Lloyd questioned the prosecution’s decision, commenting, “I don’t understand where this line of thinking is coming from.”
Mr Page said in his drug driving case that he was submitted to the court that “injuries were caused to the passengers” and said: “I think this is a case which should be withdrawn “.
The judge said she “did not want anyone to see me approve” of the decision in any way.
District Judge Lloyd said she felt all the charges should have been dealt with at the same time and added that “Mr. Beck doesn’t seem to be doing very well anyway” with his current demands for police service. probation.
The judge said: “It seems to me that he is very lucky in these circumstances, but the Crown should have set everything in place.”
Iain Criddle of CPS Mersey Cheshire said: “Anthony Beck was charged with driving offenses for using controlled drugs on December 29, 2019.
“He was sentenced by the Magistrates’ Court for these cases on November 30, 2020 and received a suspended prison sentence.
“The case came to court on the grounds that the driving was impaired, the suspect was driving for a reward and injuries were caused to the passengers who were taken to hospital.
“On January 13, 2021, the CPS authorized Anthony Beck to be charged with causing serious injury by dangerous driving in connection with the same incident.
“The CPS is required to keep all cases under continuous review. It became clear that the District Judge at the previous hearing had been briefed on all aspects of the offense in this case and had taken these factors into account. to decide on the appropriate sentence.
“There is a general rule in criminal law that a person should not be tried twice for the same offense. On this basis, on June 24, 2021, the CPS requested the withdrawal of the second prosecution.
“The offense that was withdrawn was based on the same facts as the offenses for which Mr Beck had already been convicted on November 30, 2021.”